Have any of you watched the Australian-based series. “Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries” ? Its second season is now available on Netflix and I’m assuming elsewhere.
The basic premise of the series surrounded Phryne Fisher, a playful, unmarried, gorgeous, Jazz-age “lady detective.” Phryne was apart of all-women ambulance brigade in France during the last year of The Great War, and is decorated for courage. With all her relatives killed during war, Phryne inherits great wealth and is rich but remains beholden to her past. Because of her war experiences, she has a zest of life and love. Along with investigating murders, she sleeps around. A lot. Interesting to note that the only real critcisms of her sexy adventures have comes from conservatives in the U.S.—even though there’s no sex scenes just some very sexy before and after scenes. (I wonder if those folks watch James Bond???? I guess it’s okay that he sleeps around. He is a man, after all.)
One of my favorite day-after-sex scenes is when she spots her stockings on the ceiling fan. How I love that image. Very intriguing and sexy, while leaving MUCH to the imagination. Just my kind of thing, really.
I’ve become quite obsessed with the series. Here’s some reasons why:
- The writing. I think this show is one of the smartest murder mystery series I’ve watched. And it could be studied in terms of “how far to push the envelope” with sex and gore. It’s very much a sexy-cozy mystery cousin to the cozy mystery books. It keeps a very light touch, while maintaining a smart and sexy vibe.
- The clothes. Okay, so if you are going to have a filthy rich heroine, you may as well dress her to the hilt. And WOW do I love Miss Fisher’s clothes. The 1920s have always been one of my favorites in terms of fashion (and music). But some of these clothes are just extraordinary.
- The history. So, not only is it set in a fascinating time, but it also brings to light some other lesser-known bits of historical tidbits. One show had Latvian Jewish immigrants fighting for the Zionist cause. Another was focused on the cocaine trade.
- The sex and romance. Okay, I love wondering who she is going to bed next. Usually it’s a good looking guest star, right? But I always wonder, how will they get from A to B…
- The gorgeous and talented Essie Davis.
If you love good mysteries imbued with a little romance, check out Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. My daughters and I have been binge-watching the series. I’ve actually read the first book on which the series is based and I loved it. How about you?